Why is App icon needed?
The purpose of app icon is to provide an identity and to describe the motive to your product, every application is a product to someone and that product need a logo i.e an icon which will symbolize the product in the market and somewhere in the future if it becomes a brand and sometimes it represents that brand. A beautiful app icon on the App store will seek the attention of the users who could install the application, this will we available in other default Apple applications like Settings, Siri etc
The purpose of this Article is to making someone easily understand how to change the default app icon for an iPhone Application and add app icon which shows your application motive.
This is the most common requirement we need to fulfill when we need to publish our application in the app store.
How to change app icon in iPhone Application
Please follow the below steps to add/change app icon in iPhone application:
- Create a new Xcode Application.
- Once try and run the application you will see a default app icon provided by Apple on the simulator. Now we will try to change the app icon. First Navigate to assets folder, there you can see an asset named as an app icon.
Note: This is how the current application icon looks. We will be required a 1024 * 1024 sized png image, make sure the image is created by following all guidelines mentioned by Apple in the documentation here.
As all the devices have different resolutions, so each and every device has a size, which is defined, these sizes are defined in the asset for App icon which we saw earlier.
- We need all the size of images mentioned in the app icon asset.
- Now based on the sizes, which we can see on the asset file; we can drag and drop images in these respective slots.
- After adding all images this should be the status of your app icon asset.
Note: Now delete the application form the simulator; long press the app icon, then click on the cross button on the desired application.
Run the Application again (Command + R).
Note: Click on the play icon top left corner with the desired Device/ Simulator to see the app icon reflecting in your application.